Fire Safety during the Summer Months
During summer and all year round, we must all be conscious and alert when it comes to the rules of fire safety. To help you have a wonderful and safe summer experience, here are some of the things you need to remember:
Summer Safety Checklist:
- Does your family have a home Escape Plan with pre-determined locations to meet outside?
- Do you have at least one working smoke detector on each floor?
- Do you test your detectors weekly?
- Have you installed a carbon monoxide detector near each sleeping area?
- Do you have special circuits for heavy duty appliances like air conditioners?
- Do you check the connections between the propane tank and fuel lines before turning on the grill?
- Do you always grill outdoors, and never grill in enclosed areas (i.e. porches)?
Summertime should be a time for fun and making happy memories. Knowing a few fire safety tips and following instructions will help everyone have a safe summer.
If you decide to put out a fire using a fire extinguisher, make sure that you use the appropriate extinguisher for the fire. For example, for fires that involve burning paper, wood or clothes, Hydro spray fire extinguishers are suitable. However, you cannot use these same extinguishers for electrical fire because this can result in electrocution.